Sunday, 12 February 2012

Green Stone Wall

0 comments
Found a little time to put in some practice today. I quite like the way this has turned out, but I don't think it works as well as the previous stone wall I made. Basically the shapes aren't really as interesting or as well defined. But that is the main issue with working from photo reference, you can't always get what you want.



Friday, 10 February 2012

A Few Textures More

0 comments
Here we go with a few more textures made over the past couple of days. I've been trying to see how far I can push filtered textures, as the practice often works better on certain shapes. That said I think the overall shape of the skull has turned out quite nicely. It's often difficult to produce a normal that works well with that sort of shape, without resorting to zbrush.




Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Tropical Bark

0 comments
I'm still playing with various ways of generating textures. Realistically I'm trying to find a speedy approach that delivers a good result. After all you can spend countless hours tweaking textures, for very little improvement considering the time spent.


Update: Today we have rough timber planks. I had to paint out the shadows and overpaint the diffuse to add more colour. The normal was also comped together from various passes to get the final effect. It actually feels quite rough, with some nice sharp cracks in the wood. So I'm quite pleased with the final result.


Saturday, 4 February 2012

Texture Time

0 comments
I've found myself making a few textures over the past week, as I start to flesh out a couple of models. This particular texture will end up being quite a bit dirtier as it's for use on a sewer tunnel. However it should also provide a good base for other brick textures. The normal map was generated using a program called nDo, which is quite frankly awesome at generating normal maps from photo sources. The image below is a viewport grab from max.


Update: Continued texture practise, with a sandstone wall. Additional colours have been painted at a low opacity to provide a little more variation in the sandstone. Unlike the previous brick, I've not added additional relief to the normal. I did try, but for the most part it lost more than it gained. I also feel that the gloss map is not quite so necessary, it's not adding that much. But that's good as I've not used them that much.